Friday, June 15, 2012

It's yard sale and flea market season and now that I've begun to amass a small collection, I thought I'd take a moment to catalog my typewriters here. Mostly it's for my own reference because I have an awful memory...

When I was a kid I wrote stories constantly and my parents bought me a few typewriters to use. My very first one was a Smith Corona Galaxie Twelve that has since been banished to storage or possibly lost. Either way, I don't think I'll ever have it back in my possession.

A few years ago I decided that I wanted to reconnect with that raw imagination I always felt while banging out two-page stories on that old Galaxie Twelve. And hence the beginning of an obsession. Each of my machines types well and the bell still works on all of them.



Number one is a Smith Corona Corsair Deluxe from the mid 60's or so. I bought it from a vintage seller on Etsy for $30. I fell in love with the design and the way the case clips on from above. Alas, I paid too much for it (and imagine I paid for shipping too) because it's not a particularly smooth typer. All the same, I was in love with it for all of two weeks before I found number two...



Number two is a Royal Aristocrat made in the 1960's. I went to a local flea market with my parents on my birthday and along the last row of vendors I found this gem hiding under a table. The woman selling it was only asking $5 for it and seemed relieved that I didn't try to haggle her down. It's the cleanest and least used machine I own, just beautiful. I absolutely love the colors and the design, but I was head over heels for it when I tested the keys. It types in cursive font!



Number 3 is a Royal Quiet DeLuxe from around the end of WW2. I found the poor thing in its original case in the attic of a house my brother bought, so this baby was completely free. It's so clean too. It barely looks used. My only complaint is that it hiccups every once in a while and adds an extra space between letters. I haven't had time to service it yet.



Number 4 is a Royal Aristocrat from about 1940. It was gift from my oldest brother and he bought it in its original case at a flea market in Ohio for $10. Without any service at all, it types flawlessly. It has a really great sound to it. I'm thinking it was a French model because it has a ç key.



Number 5 is by far my favorite to write with. It's a Smith-Corona Silent from the 1950's. I picked this one up with its original case at a flea market for $10. It has the easiest keystroke of all my machines, but yet it makes the most satisfying thacka thacka thacka as you type. My other machines have been neglected since I picked this one up. I love it.



Number 6 is a Smith-Corona Skyriter from the 60's. I found it at a flea market with its case for only $1, which makes me regret ever dropping $30 plus shipping for my Corsair Deluxe. Not only is this one a beautiful turquoise, it's cleaner and works much better than the Corsair. I love these compact little portables.



Number 7 is yet another Royal Aristocrat, this one from the mid 50's. It was another flea market find, on the same day as the Skyriter above. It was stashed under the table with the case barely cracked open enough to see inside. I paid $10 for it and found that it came with the original manual and warranty card still stowed away in the case.



Number 8 is (in my opinion) the most beautiful machine I currently own. It's an Underwood Champion from 1941 and I purchased it for $32 on Ebay (shipping included). It's in wonderful condition, with only a few paint defects, but the case was destroyed in shipping and the machine took some mechanical damage on the trip that I was able to fix myself. It appears to be a Spanish/Mexican model because it has an n key and an ñ.



Number 9 was my first desktop machine, a Remington-Rand Super Riter from the 1950's. I can't believe the difference between using a portable and using a desktop. This machine means business. You never have to worry about it moving around on your desk, it's very heavy and sturdy. They keys hit so beautifully too, and the font is a little smaller than I've seen before. I picked this one up at a Goodwill for $5. Out of my entire collection, this is the only one that can type in red and doesn't leave messy black remnants around the letters.



And number 10, one I just picked up yesterday, a Royal HH in Pink from 1956. I had seen pink portables and knew they were somewhat rare, so I figured a pink desktop could be worth my while and I bought it for $39.95 at an antique mall on my way home from a vacation. It was filthy and has some scuffs and a light touch of rust on the back of it, so I was hesitant to buy it. I'm glad I did though, because when I tested the keys I found that it types in Blackletter font. I love the font. I'll need to get a new ribbon before I can do too much with it though.



I hit the flea market once a week or so and I've been going to antique malls more and more often, so my little collection is sure to grow. If I have any information wrong, please feel free to correct me. I'm a beginner collector so I'm sure some of my research may be off.